Electric Appliance Safety
- Do not place electric cords under rugs or where they can be walked on or damage can go unnoticed.
- Check for cords that are broken, frayed, damaged or tied in knots, or that have melted insulation. Have them repaired or replaced promptly.
- Use extension cords with three-pronged plugs for appliances that require grounding.
- Insert and remove plugs by grasping the plug. Pulling on the cord could damage it. Be careful not to let fingers touch the metal prongs.
- Don't overload an outlet with too many lamps or appliances.
- Put safety covers over unused electric outlets. This is particularly important if you have children in your home. Never let children play around outlets.
It's important to keep all materials that can burn away from heating sources.
- Don't hang clothes to dry on or near your heater, heating vent or hot plate.
- Avoid placing furniture and blankets close to heaters or hot plates.
- Use only appliances with the Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) symbol. This symbol shows that the product has been safety-tested.
Electricity and Water
Electric appliances and water can be a lethal combination. If an appliance falls into a sink or tub of water, or if you touch an appliance with wet hands or while standing in water, you risk severe electric shock and possibly death.
- Never use any electric appliances - radios (except small battery-powered ones), TVs, hair dryers - near sinks, toilets or bathtubs.
- Always dry your hands before touching electric appliances.
- Keep the floor around your washer and dryer clean and dry.
Unplug small appliances when washing them. Never immerse appliances such as rice cookers in water. This could damage them and give you an electric shock.